Go Back   RCFiles Forums > Clubs & Organizations > Texas, Richardson (Banana Raceway)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.67 average. Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
awd
#nerdthenewcool

Tire Gluing 101

I believe tire gluing (not to attach the tire, but as a tuning aid) will become a standard practice for us as we move to the new, higher grip carpet. I recently spoke with an A-main winner at Snowbirds about this practice and figured I would post his procedure. The process definitely takes practice (I highly recommend practice on old tires till you're comfortable) and there are many ways to skin this cat. Here's one.

Step 1) remove pinion
Step 2) mount tire to left front using one that won't be glued
Step 3) mount tire that will be glued to right rear, lightly tighten with wheel nut or thumb nut
Step 4) slowly spin left front with left hand. The rotation going through the drive train will help make the right rear spin smoothly, without any wobble from front end slop
Step 5) with right hand using thin ca, lightly apply evenly to sidewall of right rear while continuing to spin left front with left hand. Do not apply to heavily, and do not stop rotating tire
Step 6) continue rotating tire while backing off wheel nut/thumb nut to avoid the glue running down to form a lump at the bottom
Step 7) set glued wheel backside down so glued side can air dry. If you want to apply zip kicker you may, or let sit overnight for a smooth shiny finish.

awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
NVAMAN
Factory

WoW Back in the day we just used a Q-tip and as the traction came up we just added glue further up the sidewall. At one race Slotmachine even added CA all the way up the side wall plus the first row of tread on his VTA car (ROAR NAT'L CHAMP).
NVAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote